Friday, November 28, 2008

Wounded!



I worry about Isaac with choosing this profession because he is always getting hurt. In undergrad even he got his ribs broken by a cow. We both got hit but he broke his ribs. I was helping/watching him with his heat sync. research and we were in the pen herding the cows into the coral when one cow decided to break from the group and make a run for it, leading others away too. They slammed me into the gate and hit Isaac head on and he cracked some ribs. But the best part of the story.... He was a little bruised but we didn't think any more of it. Then a week or so late we had gone up north from Cedar City to visit family. On our long drive home he was eating nothing but junk food to stay awake. The next day his ribs hurt really bad. I said that it is more than likely because we were cooped in the small Neon for 4 hours, he ate Flaming Hot Cheetos, a hot dog, munched on sunflower seeds and drank some energy drinks and pop. Wouldn't you tell him it is just indigestion/heart burn? Well, wrong. This is what I said, because he got hit by the cow two weeks prior, I wouldn't have guessed that it took that long to bring on the pain. He went to the ER after I told him he didn't need to. Thankfully for the first time that he didn't listen to me I was actually WRONG. Can you believe that? I was wrong! That is a one in a million chance.

So, anyway, back to the present. I worry about him for good reason. He was reaching his hand into a pen and a bull sat on his arm. It is a good thing that he has some pretty tuff bones because it could have cracked his arm in half. THEN.... one of the vets he was working with down in Caldwell tossed him a knife and said "go castrate that bull." Isaac knew better but the last time he said no because it was dumb and dangerous he got chewed out pretty harshly, so he did it. The bull kicked him, the knife slipped and cut his finger to the bone. After it happened he called me and while he was on the phone almost passed out from loss of blood (the bowl his finger is over has about 1-2 inches of blood and that is just from sitting and waiting to get stiched up). Travis drove him to the ER where he got stiched up (6 stiches), they also gave him a tetanus shot and was put on some pretty heavy medicine because he was in the middle of vaccinating the bulls for some pretty bad infections (yes, that humans can get). So he is having to do everything, palpating, AIing, everything with the opposite arm. He is pretty talented though and is doing really well.

So, long story short....Do you think that it is too late to try another profession?







1 comment:

Neisha said...

That is the Isaac we know and love for you!